Okay, I just heard some of the craziest sh*t ever, and I simply must share. A friend of a friend of mine, who is only mildly attractive in the first place (and I'm putting that nicely), doesn't ever wear makeup. Although this is highly offensive to my sensibilities, I get it. Not everyone is into accentuating their natural assets with a lil gloss from time to time, fine. Personally, I can't comprehend this, but like my father says, if you like it, I love it.
But here is where I had to put my foot down. This same young lady did not wear a stitch of makeup ON HER WEDDING DAY. None. I swear I've been walking around with a furrowed brow every since I learned this sad fact (I'm totally sending her my Botox bill this month). Like, how does something like this happen? Of all days in a woman's life, you don't decide to dab a little blush on before you walk down the aisle? I can only think of a few reasons how and why something like this could happen.
1. You have no friends, cousins, play cousins, aunts, or sisters and your mama is dead. Because one of the above should have snatched you up in a fit of rage and dragged you to the nearest MAC counter.
2. You're allergic to makeup. Whatevs, okay, this is no excuse. There are plenty of hypoallergenic products out there and the organic ingredients in mineral makeup have become a great option for people with cosmetic allergies or sensitive, problematic skin types. It's your wedding day...make it work!
3. You're a lesbian. 'Nuff said.
4. Someone lied to you and told you you were a natural beauty. Even the most beautifullest girl in this world can use a little zsujsh on her wedding day. And even if you look great in person without makeup, pictures are a whole 'nother story. Hello...you will be looking at these pictures for the rest of your life! A shiny forehead and ashy lips will really take away from your wedding album.
5. Your fiance/husband doesn't like when you wear makeup. Chile, please. This is YOUR day. Eff him. And anyway, the real truth is that women dress up and wear makeup for other women, even on their wedding day.
6. You really and truly don't care. And hey, if you don't care enough to get glammed up on your wedding day, then why should I? However, the next time I run into you in the street, and we stop and exchange pleasantries, and I begin to rustle around in the bottom of my handbag du jour, just know that I am searching for one of my opera-length gloves with which to backslap you. That's all.
|
8 cupcakes had this to say:
Wow. I read your blog every day, but I have to say this post is really shallow.
Wearing make up is not that serious and it's a sad thing when people look at others who don't wear is lacking something. I am not in the super anti-makeup crowd (I wear eyeliner and lip gloss every day, if that counts). But really, what's the point of everyone adding something to themselves in order to look like an "ideal" that no one measures to.
I don't get your passion on this topic. It's a good thing this woman didn't feel the need to change her appearance, even on her wedding day.
-Dee
who don't wear it as*
-Dee
Hey Dee! Really appreciate you reading the blog. Glad you commented! Differing opinions make me happy. In my world, makeup is that serious. For others, not so much. Let's just agree to disagree, yes?
xo, Elle
P.S. I do have a lot of passion about this topic. But that's a backstory for another day. :)
TRAGIC! That's the first thing that comes to mind when I think about this woman. Why would you think you don't need makeup on your WEDDING day! I'm all for the natural beauty and I say embrace it and love who you are in all forms....but what is wrong with enhancing the positive. This is your wedding day and if ever a lil mascara-liner-shadow combo was called for this is that moment! These pics follow you for the rest of your life! I mean really....seriously! Just my opinion:)
Hmmmm....
I can't see how on your wedding day you didnt think a little something would be necessary, a little lip gloss, concealer something. Especially if it were a summer wedding.
I really thought you were going to say you were reaching in your bag for lipgloss HAHA.
Ok Elle :)
-Dee
Hmm, Elle I like your blog and if the pictures of you are really you... you're cute...
I personally love mascara and something to keep my lips soft... on my wedding day, I envision makeup that is light and lovely, because that works for me...
However, in terms of a woman who chooses not to wear any make up, I don't think that its a tragedy...
In fact if she were really that horrible looking, no one would be attracted to her; moroever she wouldn't be married... just a thought...
I also can't stand when people wear a face load of makeup and they end up looking like they're in the circus: "YUCK"!!!
But like your dad says: "If you like it, I love it..."
Dee said that the post was shallow... and I can see that, sure, but I say that, that's a part of your appeal... I also say that 'still waters run deep' and you may have other underlying issues with the individual...
last point, I'd like to hear about your makeup backstory in a post, I'm interested now :)
~BabyBrown of mommabrown.com
Hi BabyB! Thanks for the comment and compliment (it is me in the pictures). I almost choked on my Emergen-C and vodka when you said that being shallow is part of my appeal. You totally get me! :) And about the backstory, it is SO not appropriate for blogification cuz it's not really about makeup at all...I'll leave it at that!
Post a Comment