Monday, March 31, 2008

Trendwatch: Party Frocks with Sneakers?

She's baaaaack

This picture bears repeating. How hideously hood fab. I thought that D. Woods' foray into the world of frilly dresses and sneakers was a momentary lapse of judgment never to be seen or heard from again. Unfortch, it seems as though the worst is yet to come.

Posh sneakers are mayjah for '08, the more colorful, metallic and/or designer, the better. Then there's also this punk/glam/rock element that's shaping up to be huge for Fall (think Rihanna these days). This, my friends, has birthed a trend that is sweeping the nation: party frocks with sneakers!!!

Lil Mama was spotted over the weekend at the Kids Choice Awards in a Betsey Johnson dress and high tops.

Teyana Taylor performed at a MAC Cosmetics Launch in the same Heatherette dress D. Woods wore, but with different kicks (thankfully much less orthopedic looking).

Of course, these youngsters aren't known to be fashion frontrunners, but I'm still confused. This is something one would expect from, say, Avril Lavigne...

Yep, that looks about right.

Also, Lily Allen is known for pairing her dresses with sneaks...



Personally, I just can't get behind it. Although I'm quite sure this is a trend that many a fun, punky high schooler will be wearing to her prom this year, it offends my sensibilities on many, many different levels. First, when you're in sneakers you automatically tend to schlep...very unsexy. If you wear anything over a size 7, your feet resemble boats. Moreover, sneakers do absolutely nothing for your legs (heels make them look slimmer and more muscular) And despite the obvious comfort, I think any opportunity to gain a few inches in height should be relished!

Hmmm...maybe these are the solution?

LAMB Wedge Sneakers $235.00


LOLZ! I kid, I kid. I wouldn't be caught dead in these clown shoes. Seriously, I just got Ronald McDonald on the horn and he wants his shoes back.



I actually do have one pair of sneakers of the non-workout variety. They're these Baby Phat black and gold paisley high tops that I love (above). I still think they look like clown shoes/boats, but when I'm feeling totally glam rock, (which is once in a very orange moon) I wear them with opaque black leggings, a long black tunic, a cropped jean jacket, my long blinged out Hello Kitty chain and lots of eyeliner. That's about as hood fab as your girl gets. And I definitely can't see me pairing them with a dress.
asdfad

So the question remains, what do you think about pairing party frocks with kicks?





Source/Source

10 cupcakes had this to say:

TravelDiva said...

Boo! No one successfuly pulled that off IMO. It just looks awful.

F.U. said...

As a sneaker diva, I happen to love the idea of being able to be glammed out, cute, and comfy all at once. I also don't agree that when wearing sneakers that you automatically tend to shelp. I never shelp and I stay sexy no matter what shoes are on my feet or even what I'm wearing. But I'm just lucky that all 6 feet of me and my face are all I need to get by.

In any case, I just think that it really depends on the level of glam that you are going for, the occasion, the event, etc.

I personally hate everything about how D.Woods put her mess together and I think Teyana worked it better because she is younger, the sneakers are cuter, and her look was just better pulled together. It is clearly all about the presentation and I think there is an age limit as well as a very thin line when it comes to selecting the party frock that will allow you to pull off the look fabulously.

PCD (Pretty Circle Drawer) said...

me no likey.......

Park Avenue said...

I think Teyana worked it out in her dress & sneakers. You definitely have to have a certain energy to pull off that look. Lily Allen is another one that can get away with the dress/sneaker style. One thing, though: Teyana could benefit from pulling up the top of her dress!

The F_Uitlist said...

I say Boo to this trend for anyone over 25.

I do however disagree about how you schelp in sneakers you can still make it work, and I am a die hard wearer of anything 4 inches and higher.

Leave it to the kids folks!

What's Haute said...

they all look a mess!

love your blog!

Edirin said...

ive neva been a fan of something like this, but certain people make it work

rockrgirl said...

I absolutely LOVE this idea. For me it isn't a trend, just what I look good in.

None of them but Avril (who is absolutely amazing) and Lily looked good in sneakers and a dress.

I love this idea of being cute, dark, and stylish without losing my punk look. I could NEVER wear heels. They're too...well, preppy. Plus, how can you dance? I HAVE to at least be able to party at prom, so why wear heels and ruin the experience?

price per head online said...

I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles an i keep a nice post

call center voip solutions said...

Good posting, I´m subscribing to your rss. Thanks for sharing a very informative article. Many thanks once more

Shop Women's Shoes at Heels.com. Free Shipping!